/* ----------------------------------------------- Comment out annoying Snap... ----------------------------------------------- */

Friday, November 24, 2006

New Media – Old Union Problems

I was incredibly surprised this morning when I read that the National Union of Journalists (NUJ) was to ballot its members at AOL UK on strike action. The problem seems to be the confusion arising from the sale of part of the business to Carphone and the lack of clarity from the management of what is going to happen in the future.

I understood that the content side, presumably where all the journalists reside, is remaining with AOL Time Warner and therefore assumed would be unaffected by the sale of the access division. If this is true then why redundancies?

I must admit to being a little confused myself. Perhaps the content division is not doing as well as Time Warner would lead us to believe.